PHA-Exchange> Fod for civil society's thought

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Sat Sep 7 10:30:09 PDT 2002

Something interesting I found and with which PHM has to reckon with:

An adult civil society organization (CSO) has to use its (new) power with
intelligence and not exaggerate the theory of a 'universal responsibility'
based on the false idea that it is absolutely us (and no other) who have to
bring order to a world in disarray --no matter at what cost-- or we won't be
able to live in peace with ourselves. This theory does not only lead to
potentially infinite unconnected interventions: it intoxicates our minds
with the illusion that we are protagonizing the ultimate crusade in favor of
what is just, making us believe that each campaign we embark on is like the
final and ultimate campaign that will end all miseries of the world. As a
true global PHM we have to learn to move from being a potential to being a
real power in world affairs; we have to liberate ourselves from simply
general global objectives (a general globalism) lacking a clear sense of
direction and purpose lest we get tangled up everywhere: there are concrete
things to do to get us to such a position of real power...and the actions of
every member --not just the leadership-- count.

Based on and modified from a paragraph by Walter Lippman (1889-1974), former
NY Times Editor.

Claudio
List moderator