PHA-Exchange> Hesperian Foundation seeking an Editorial Coordinator

Sarah Shannon sarahs at hesperian.org
Thu Jul 18 16:01:32 PDT 2002

Dear friends,

Greetings! The Hesperian Foundation is looking for an Editorial Coordinator
to work full-time in our Berkeley, California offices. Below is a
description of the position. Please circulate widely to your networks and
to anyone you think may be interested.
Thanks!

Sarah Shannon
Executive Director
===============
Editorial Coordinator
The Hesperian Foundation is a nonprofit publisher of books and newsletters
for community-based health care. Developed collaboratively with health
workers and groups worldwide, our publications address the underlying
social, political, and economic causes of poor health, and suggest ways
groups can organize to improve health conditions in their communities.
Hesperian publications are written simply and include many illustrations so
people with little formal education can understand, apply, and share
medical information. Topics of our current and future publications include
environmental health, "free" trade zone workers' health and safety,
HIV/AIDS, women's health, midwifery, mental health, children with
disabilities, health worker training, rehabilitation, and dentistry. Our
books and newsletters are used in marginalized communities around the
world. Our flagship publication, Where There Is No Doctor, is considered to
be one of the most accessible and widely used community health books in the
world.

Job description:
The editorial coordinator provides editorial oversight and support to
specific publication projects at Hesperian. The editorial coordinator also
understands Hesperian's mission and is responsible for projecting that
mission into the content and presentation of our publications. S/he works
as a team with the managing editor and the publications director.
Specific job responsibilities include:
· Assessing and editing content of our publications in English and Spanish
to ensure consistency with Hesperian style, philosophy, easy-to-understand
language, and practical approach
· Drafting newsletter articles or book chapters as needed
· Coordinating Spanish-language translation process (arranging for outside
translation and in-house editing)
· Collaboratively developing popular health education learning activities
· Contributing to editorial discussions and decision-making for all book
projects
· Building and maintaining relationships with advisors and partner
organizations
· Participating in Hesperian staff meetings, retreats, organizational
planning processes, and periodic reviews
Qualifications:
The Hesperian Foundation seeks an individual with an understanding of the
issues and politics surrounding community health and development. S/he
should demonstrate:
· Strong editing and writing skills for low-literacy publication
· Fluency in both English and Spanish
· Grassroots experience in less developed countries or in immigrant or
marginalized communities in the United States, preferably related to health
· Good time and project management skills, especially in supporting
multiple projects
· Interest in popular education
· Commitment to social justice
Compensation:
Full-time salary is $35,000 to $42,000 depending on experience. Package
includes excellent medical and dental benefits.
To apply:
The Hesperian Foundation is committed to increasing diversity and providing
equal opportunity in our community. We are an equal opportunity employer,
and strongly encourage people of color and people with disabilities to
apply for all of our job openings. We do not discriminate in employment
against persons based on age, color, race, religion, ability, gender,
familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, veteran status, or
marital status.
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and writing
samples. Writing samples should demonstrate an ability to write for an
audience with little formal education. Please do not send academic papers
or business reports. Mail, email, or fax applications to The Hesperian
Foundation, ATTN: Editorial Coordinator Search, 1919 Addison St. Suite 304,
Berkeley, CA 94704; Fax: (510) 845-9141; Email: hesperian at hesperian.org.
No calls, please. The position will remain open until filled.

Sarah Shannon
Executive Director
Hesperian Foundation
1919 Addison Street, Suite #304