PHA-Exchange> health and militarisation

Bert De Belder wanr3518 at wanadoo.be
Mon Jul 8 23:13:44 PDT 2002

Dear all,

With Medical Aid for the Third World, we are currently working on the issue of 'health, militarisation and war'. We will be organizing a two-day symposium on this issue on December 7 and 8 in Brussels, and we are preparing a publication as well.
Part of the topic is sufficiently clear, and lots of elaboratematerials exist: the effects of embargoes, military interventions and wars on health and health care, as in the case of Iraq, Palestine, Agent Orange in Vietnam, and the like.
But we are searching for background articles, case studies, facts and figures on two other subthemes:
1. the militarisation of the economy: can this also be seen in the medical and pharmaceutical industry? E.g. the production of medicines specifically for military use (e.g. to protect soldiers of armies that use ABC weapons). E.g. high technology or biotechnology with 'dual use': for civil and military purposes.
2. the increase in military budgets versus the decrease in health and other social budgets: any direct association? indirect indications? concrete cases?
We would be most grateful if you could send us information, or help us with relevant weblinks.

Thank you very much.

Bert De Belder
Coordinator
Medical Aid for the Third World