PHA-Exchange> A follow-up on Globalization

Aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Wed Jun 19 01:51:21 PDT 2002

This is a quote from Fidel Castro's opening address to the South Summit, Havana, April 14-20, 2000. It is excellent to use in your debates:

Underlying Globalization is the fact that we are all passengers on the same ship. But passengers on this vessel are traveling in very different conditions. A tiny minority travels in luxurious cabins; the overwhelming distressed majority travel in conditions that resemble the terrible slave trade...
This vesel is carrying too much injustice to remain afloat and it pursues such an irrational and senseless course that it cannot call on a safe port. Heads of state have not only the right, but the obligation to take the helm and correct this catastrophic course.
Neoliberalism has put Globalization in a straight jacket, globalizing poverty rather than development.; it has been applied dogmatically.  World trade continues to be a means of domination by the rich countries. The world economic order worksto the advantage of 20% of the population, but leaves out, demeans and degrades the remainig 80%.
The world could be globalized under the rule of neoliberalism, but it is impossible to govern billions of people who are hungry for bread and justice...

Either we unite and cooperate closely, or we die!

In the same meeting, President Mahatir Mohamad of Malaysia added these interesting insights:
While it is easy to meet, it is not so easy to act together. Therein lies our weakness. The rich are apparently more united; they close ranks very rapidly if their dominance is challenged. (Since money equals force in the market, those with money dominate).
The South mostly reacts. But reacting limits the choices and is less rewarding and less effective.
The rich interpret Globalization as the right of capital to cross and re-cross borders at will. Why should not workers move across borders freely as well? If money is capital for the rich, labor is the capital of the poor.