PHA-Exchange> PHM Events at WHA May 2002 FINAL UPDATE

aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Tue Apr 30 15:15:14 PDT 2002

Dear PHM Friends,

This is the 6th and Final Circular from CHC on behalf of WHO-WHA Circle
of PHM and updates you on the programme for the week 13th -17th May at
Geneva. If you have not already sent your registration form attached
with the last mail (5th circular of April) please do so as soon as you
can but not later than 7th May so that the organizers in Geneva can
make
the necessary arrangements and ensure your full involvement.

1. Confirmations – As of today we have thirty one confirmations:-
Maria
from Nicaragua and Sr. Anne from Brazil; Sarah from the US; Pam, Mike
and Margaret from  UK; Ellen from Netherlands; Christiana from Germany;
Sunil from Italy; David from South Africa and Mwajuma from Tanzania;
Zafarullah, Qasem, Laila Banu, Nouman and Shirina Parvin from
Bangladesh; Thelma, Ravi, Unni, Prem John from India; Satya from
Malaysia; Sanjeeb from Nepal; Claudio from Vietnam; Halfdan, Eric,
Manoj, Garance and Inez from Geneva.  There may be many more.

2. PHM Community at Mandat International

We are glad to note that 23 of the 30 registered PHM participants are
now booked at Mandat International for the week so that will become
like
a mini PHM community giving us an opportunity to be together, share
ideas and news; share culture and experience a ‘Global Village’. Do
bring your posters, small flags, banners and any other material to
enhance this multicultural experience. (Please be in touch directly
with
Ms. Bernardita Gonzales at Mandat International :

Ms. Benardita Gonzales
Mandat International,
31, chemin William Rappard,
CH-1293 Bellevue / Suisse

Tel: 41 22 959 88 55
Fax 41 22 959 88 51
Email: info at mandint.org
Website: www.mandint.org
They will receive your calls from Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 12 AM.
Otherwise you can leave messages on their answering machine.

3. Registration at WHA

23 names from above are registered for WHA as delegates from WCC and
World Vision; three from HAI; others will need to follow this up soon
if
they have not done so.

4. Panelists at session:

a) The panelists for the NGO Forum session on 14th are Ravi (India) and
Sr. Ani Whibey (Brazil)
b) The panelists for the WHO- CSI Technical Briefing session are
Zafarullah (Bangaldesh); Ravi (India); Mwajuma (Tanzania); Sr. Anne
(Brazil) and Ellen (Netherlands).
c) Bala, Joel, Prem are involved with the HAI session as well.

5         NGO Briefing:

After registration on 13th May at the inaugural session of the World
Health Assembly, you are all invited to the WHO-CSI Technical Briefing
session from  10:30 –12:30. The invitation and agenda circulated by Dr.
Eva and Margareta has been forwarded to all of you.  Please do attend.

6. PHM Informal Meeting on 13th May

We plan to have an informal PHM session soon after the NGO briefing or
at least during the later part of the day and the time and venue will
be
announced there. During this meeting apart from meeting each other we
shall discuss the strategy for the week: NGO Forum on 14th; Media
Advocacy; lobbying with delegates; press briefings; informal meetings
with key WHO/UNAIDS people; work out details of 16th and 17th events;
any other matter brought up by the PHM participants.

7. Media Strategy

Our media team Unni and Satya and others will be in Geneva  from 9th to
19th May 2002. We are glad to have received short articles from
Claudio,
Bala and some others to build up the media folder More about it from
Unni soon- including about press releases and press briefings.

8. The PHM ‘Battery Charger’ at WCC on 16th May

This is now proving to be another multi cultural; multi regional event.
We will have reports from Africa, South Asia, Europe, Latin America;
country reports from India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, UK, Italy,
Netherlands, Germany, Tanzania, South Africa, Brazil, Nicaragua, and a
few others; network reports; sharing of campaigns; stories, videos,
slide-shows, posters – all in the usual informal PHM style. Please
bring
any reports, posters, pamphlets, booklets charts, cassettes,
photographs
from your countries. Halfdan will chair and Maria, Thelma, Mwajuma and
Pam will facilitate and Uday and Sanjeeb will rapparteur.

9. WHO-CSI Technical Briefing

This will be PHM’s first short but important entry officially into the
WHO. We must make the most of it. The panelists will make their
presentation on 16th as a sort of rehearsal to get other participant’s
ideas and suggestions.  Please lobby with your country delegation –
Health Minister; Secretary of Health; Director of Health Services or
other officials who will be attending on your country’s behalf. Invite
them to attend the session.

10. The Final Way Forward

On 17th afternoon after the Technical Briefing we shall have a short,
informal get together about the way forward and exploring next steps
with Qasem  from the Secretariat in the chair.

11. As you prepare for your participation in this event in Geneva, just
a little reminder. There are many in your region/country who may have
liked to come but did not know; could not afford; were unable to take
time off; but are involved with the grassroot, at the city, at the
state
or national level.  Do be in touch with all of them – individuals and
networks and bring all the news of their concerns and initiatives with
you.  We must build on collectivity and solidarity back home – so all
those who can make it to Geneva have a special responsibility.

12. Finally – on behalf of many of us,  I wish to thank you all once
again for the enthusiastic response and collective solidarity in
helping
us evolve such a programme. There has been a fantastic spirit of pro
activity, give and take and rising to the occasion from so many of you
that  the events have gone beyond our original plans. We have tried to
keep the communication network and hope you got all the circulars,
dispatches and forwarded mails.

13. I leave for a PHA advocacy tour of Europe starting 27th April. We
cover

Bergen  ( Gunnar Kvale - email: gunnar.kvale@ cih.uib.no)
Stockholmm ( Hans Rosling - email: Hans.Rosling at phs.ki.se)
Copenhagen (Line Gisselmann - email: giss at mdb.ku.dk)
The Hague (Rens Rutten - email:  Rens.Rutten at cordaid.nl)
Aachen  ( Nina Urwantzoff - email: urwantzf at misereor.de)
Frankfurt   ( Dr. Gunter Klein (gk at ecehbonn.euro.who.int)

The emails in brackets  are contact persons / hosts for further
information.

We reach Geneva  ( Mandat International) on 12th May evening. See you
all there.

14. In our absence the messages will be handled as follows:

a. Send all messages for Geneva to Eric Ram ( eric_ram at wvi.org) or
Manoj
(mku at wcc-coe.org)
b. WHO-CSI meeting related to Margerata Skold (skoldm at who.ch)
c. For media Strategy related to Unni (unnikru at yahoo.com)

Our colleague Arjun at CHC will handle all the rest. He knows how to
get
in touch with us if necessary.

See you all in Geneva

Best wishes