PHA-Exchange> WHA:Let's prepare a leaf-let with quotes on the charter by well known people.

Lynette Martin lmartin at uwc.ac.za
Mon Apr 22 03:44:33 PDT 2002

** High Priority **

Dear Colleagues,

Below is my response in underline to the following update:

David Sanders

Prof David Sanders/Lynette Martin
School of Public Health
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17
Bellville, 7535
Cape, South Africa

Tel: 27-21-959 2132/2402
Fax: 27-21-959 2872
Cell: 082 202 3316

From: UNNIKRISHNAN P V (Dr)

Dear David

Greetings from Kerala, India !

Thanks for your wonderful suggestion to prepare a leaf-let ( flyer) with comments / "quotable quotes" on the People's Charter for Health. It will have good strategic value. Media team ahs been working on this idea and following is an update:

(1) We have written / requested
            (a) Maria Zuniga (to approach Fidel Castro)
            (b) Pam Zinkin (to approach Prime Minister of Mozambique, Pascoal Mocumbi)
             (C) Dr. Zafrullah and Dr. Qasem (to approach the PM of Bangladesh)
             (D) Dr. Mira Shiva (to approach Vandana Shiva)
             (E) Dr. ravi Narayan to approach Halfden Mahler
             (F) Ravi Narayn suggested (and agreed) to approach Prof. Andy Haines, LSHTM

(If the above mentioned people have NOT received the request, please treat this as one. In case you have already received it, please treat this as a REMINDER )

(2) The media team have written (directly ) to Dr. James Obrinski (former MSF director who was present during PHA) and Dr. Mustafa Barghoti / UPMRC

(3) We would like to request you (David Sanders) to approach to people and mobilise the quotes.
        (1) David Werner        (2) Nelson Mandela. (I am NOT sure who was facilitating the presence of Nelson Mandela for               PHA.)
I will approach David Werner. Nelson Mandela is difficult, but I will try.

(4) Do you have any suggestions about five organisations from whom we may take quotes ? Please name them and any contacts ? If you already have quotes, please send it to us.

I suggest OXFAM (perhaps Pam can approach), Save the Children Fund (UK) (Can Andy Chetley approach?), Partners in Health (can David Werner approach).

(5) It will be wonderful to get quotes/ comments on the charter from as many ("good") Prime Minister's / President's as possible. any suggestions ( and please give a try ). Does any of us have hotlines to people like Dr. Mahathir Mohammed ?

(6) There is a suggestion to approach Richard Skolnik (World Bank) for a quote on the charter. We have NOT requested him yet. Please comment how you feel about this.

I do not think we should apprach Richard Skolnik. I think we want to show that we have wide, and powerful, support outside of the mainstream.

Since we had a good response to write briefing papers(thanks to Maria, Bala, Dr. Ekbal, Mike Rowson, Ravi), we are trying to print a simple MEDIA-KIT that comprises of

    (1) the five briefing papers that has been promised by various people (More papers are welcome, but please send latest by April     21st.)
    (2) an overview
    (3) the first press release that will be released on May 2nd / 3rd
    (4) the two page leaf-let / flyer with "quotable quotes"
    (5) Charter

To end this note, we would like to request you once again to mobilise quotes from the list of people suggested above + more as you feel

The contact numbers to reach the media team / me are :

Till May 9th (India) : ++ 91 98450 91319 (mobile)
May 9th till 18th (Geneva) Mobile: ++41 78 876 5437 (mobile)

Looking forward to hear from you

in Solidarity

Unni

PS: Once again apologies for chasing, with short deadlines. Bear with us till May 17th !!  Happy writing.
(E-mail: unnikru at yahoo.com)

>Dear Unni,

I have a suggestion. I am not sure whether it falls under "Media Strategy" : I think it does.

The strength of the PHM is the breadth and diversity of its support. Furthermore, some very well-known and influential organisations and people are involved. This needs to be made clear and publicised at the WHA (and beyond).

I think we should solicit brief statements (1-2 sentences) from such organisations and individuals stating why they support/are involved in the PHM. These brief statements could be linked to a passage in the Peoples Charter for Health. So, for example, MEDACT might consider making a statement of support and refer to a part of the section of the PCH on economic policies and health.

If we are able to secure say 20 such statements of support from a diverse group of organisations and people (e.g. Halfdar Mahler, Vandana Shiva, David Werner) we would be able to show significant support for the PHM. I think that a group of us could identify - from the attendance lists - at PHA, a selection of organisations and individuals to be approached. Once we have received their statements these would need to be formatted into an appealing design and produced as a leaflet. We could also circulate these statements to the press. What do you - or anyone else on this listserve - think?

David Sanders