PHA-Exchange> 12th March -WHO Statement on Middle East Conflict

Fawzia Rasheed rasheedf at bluewin.ch
Fri Apr 5 08:20:29 PST 2002

12th March 2002

Statement by Dr Gro Harlem Brundtland, Director-General of the World Health
Organization

ESCALATION IN MIDDLE EASTERN CONFLICT RAISES MAJOR CONCERNS FOR HUMAN HEALTH
The latest escalation of violence in the Occupied Palestinian Territories,
in Israel, and in the refugee camps in the West Bank and in Gaza represents
a new and serious threat to the health of affected people - Palestinians,
Israelis, and others caught up in conflict. I have read reports prepared by
the International Committee of the Red Cross, the United Nations Relief and
Works Agency for Palestine Refugees and our own WHO staff. I am seriously
concerned about the consequences of the hostilities for people's health, not
only in injuries, disability and loss of life. They also severely disrupt
health services.

The targeting of civilians in the conflict is a deplorable development.
Beyond the immediate death and injuries there is a long term price that will
be borne, particularly by children, whose psychological health is being
directly affected.

I am particularly concerned about the difficulties for people in need to
reach and receive health services. This applies especially to children,
pregnant women and the disabled.

I am deeply troubled by the fact that several of the casualties of the
fighting have been health workers responding to people's acute needs and
distress.

I appeal to all sides in the conflict to accept the critical role of
doctors, nurses and paramedical workers on duty, to respect their
neutrality, equip them to save lives and relieve suffering, and allow them
to do this vital work in safety.

For further information, journalists can contact: Mr Jon Lidén, Office of
the Director-General, WHO, Geneva, Telephone: (+41 22) 791 3982, Fax (+41
22) 791 4999, e-mail: lidenj at who.ch.

All WHO Press Releases, Fact Sheets and Features as well as other
information on this subject can be obtained on Internet on the WHO home page
http://www.who.int/