PHA-Exchange> Re:Disappearence of Dr. Mahesh Maskey, Shyam Shrestha and Pramod Kafle

Sarah Shannon sarahs at hesperian.org
Fri Mar 22 09:36:50 PST 2002

Dear friends,
Attached, and below, is a copy of a letter that the Hesperian Foundation
has sent to the Nepali Embassy in the United States regarding the
disappearances of Dr. Mahesh Maskey, Shyam Shrestha and Pramod Kafle.  We
extend our support and solidarity to all of our Nepali friends and
colleagues during these very difficult times.

Sincerely,

Sarah Shannon
Hesperian Foundation

Honorable Mr. Jai Pratap Rana
The Royal Nepalese Embassy
2131 Leroy Place, NW
Washington, DC 20008

Dear Ambassador Rana,

I am writing you regarding some very disturbing news we have received about
our Nepali colleagues Dr. Mahesh Maskey, Shyam Shrestha and Pramod Kafle.
On their way to participate in an Interaction Meeting Nepal Concern Group
of South Asian People's Solidarity yesterday in New Delhi, they were
apparently arrested at the Tribhuvan International Airport by the military.

The Prime Minister verbally confirmed their arrest, but we have not been
informed yet of their release. Besides being concerned about the arrest of
trusted colleagues who have devoted their lives to making health care a
right for poor people in Nepal, we are concerned about the illegality of
their arrest in a country known for its commitment to democratic rights:

1. They were arrested by the military during a period of civilian rule
(although a state of emergency may exist, martial law does not).
2. They received no prior notification and were shown no warrant for arrest.
3. No information of their whereabouts has been provided by the government
authority or the army.
4. The victims were not permitted to inform their relatives or friends of
their arrest.

We would appreciate knowing the current status of Dr. Mahesh Maskey, Shyam
Shrestha and Pramod Kafle. I hope you will communicate our concerns for
their safety to the Royal Government of Nepal.

Thank you for your intervention and assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Sarah Shannon
Executive Director