PHA-Exchange> PHA- WHA media strategy-

aviva aviva at netnam.vn
Wed Mar 20 15:10:12 PST 2002

From: "Fawzia Rasheed" <rasheedf at bluewin.ch>

Dear All

Unni and I had a detailed discussion yesterday.  Just to say I endorse
his strategy and his leadership in this role.  We discussed the varying
perspectives re material that needs to be timed for the WHA (systemic
issues relevant to WHO and the UN system) and other topics  (eg
Afghanistan) which do not necessarily need to be addressed within a
particular time framework.  It looks to me that Unni can handle the
range.  The strategy of working on a given set of briefs and through
predetermined dissemination paths, appears right.

I have some material relevant to the list of topics proposed, which I
will pass on to Unni.  Perhaps others can do the same.  We are going to
keep hearing how short time is.  I propose to let him follow his
instincts and do whatever he can while we bring in material and
additional help towards extensive coverage.   My feeling is that we may
want to add to the list of topics and volunteer against particular
items in terms of assisting with content.  We may want to make a
distinction between press releases from the PHM (to be cleared by this
group?) and anything else which might refer to the PHM - which would
fall into the big wide world of the press - and over which we should
not bother to attempt to exercise control. As the saying goes and in
our case might well be true..all press is good press.

I can help on WHO's role in drugs and the WHO governance/staffing
issues. I will be handing over what I have to Unni in the first week of
April.  Anything that Unni has ready in terms of written pieces, I
recommend he circulate to get a yes/no decision re whether it is an
official release from the PHM or otherwise.

Best

Fawzia

    Dear Dr. Ravi Dr. Zafrullah and friends

    Attached please find the revised note on media strategy. W have
made some progress as far as reconnecting with the journalists and
establishing the contacts are concerned.

    Please go through the note and respond ASAP. It may be good to take
a DECISION whether we need to do media work ASAP.

    Looking forward to hearing from you

    Regards and in solidarity.

    Unni
    Dr. Unnikrishnan PV       (E-mail: unnikru at yahoo.com)
    Co-ordinator: Emergencies; OXFAM INDIA  :

    CONTACT (FEB-APR 2002) UNIVERSITY OF GENEVA, GENEVA :(MOBILE: ++41
78 876 5437) FAX:+41 22 789 24 17