PHA-Exchange> Re: from Mira Shiva!

Lynette Martin lmartin at uwc.ac.za
Mon Mar 18 01:55:39 PST 2002

Dear Mira,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I am not as yet involved in the World Summit on Sustainable Development, although an organisation called AIDC (Alternative Information & Development Centre) is very much involved in the Alternative Peoples Summit which will be happening during the WSSD. There is one other health person actively involved in AIDC. I will speak to him. I am a member of SAFEAGE - the S. African network against Genetic engineering. I am sure that they will be at the WSSD (or the NGO alternative). Do you want the email contact of SAFAGE?

What specific suggestions do you or Vandana have for what we from the health movement should focus on? Will PHA (PHM) have any representation at the WSSD?

Warm regards,
David Sanders

Prof David Sanders/Lynette Martin
School of Public Health
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17
Bellville, 7535
Cape, South Africa

Tel: 27-21-959 2132/2402
Fax: 27-21-959 2872
Cell: 082 202 3316

>>> "Mira Shiva" <mirashiva at yahoo.com> 02/11/02 03:44PM >>>

10 Feb 02

Dear David,

Hope you received my email.  How much are you planning
to be involved in the big Environment and Trade
meeting in Johannesburg.  Vandana ha specifically
asked me to inform you that this is going to be a very
crucial meeting where the trade issues are going to be
identified, all other concerns including environment
and health.  I think it is extremely important for you
to get in touch with various pro-group people because
as has been indicated in the Newsweek the
democratically elected governments are the true voices
of the people.  The chances are that rubber stamped
congos are going to be set up.  There is orchestrated
efforts to de-legitimise those who are speaking up on
behalf of ecological and health concerns of the poor.
It is a pity that we missed on the Porto Alegre to
have made some proper statements on behalf of the
IPHC.  There is a need for inter-sectoral suport for
issues which we  would have got from likeminded groups
from other sectors.  It was a painfully lost
opportunity and reflects our lack of strategic
planning something which you have repeatedly attempted
to highlight.  I think where the health aspects of
this environment and development meet is concerned.,
you will have to play an important role.  I have been
asking Liz Hosken of GAIA Foundation who has been
working with some of the South African groups and
Vandana on the issues of WTO, ecology etc to get in
touch with you.  Is it possible for you to give me the
names of the people in the health movement who
understand the environment and health connections and
who could be a counter to the Third World government
position which is basically supporting the stand of
the northern government and the northern cooperation
on trade. Please share this with Sheela and your other
friends.  May be this is an important opportunity and
great service and the groups there render service to
larger health and people's movements and the
marginalised people of the world.

It does not matter what hat you do this under and in
case you feel that it would be different for you
because of your commitment, please let me know who
should be the people that the environment group should
get in touch with especially those that have grassroot
base and who will be willing to stick out their necks
for the poor and the marginalised.

Looking forward to hearing from you at the earliest.

With warm regards,

Mira Shiva