PHA-Exchange> Fwd: [globalization] The One-Size-Fits-All Globalization Model Just Didn't Work

David Legge d.legge at latrobe.edu.au
Mon Dec 31 18:08:38 PST 2001

Sorry about the cross posting if you have already seen this but I think the
contents justifies it.
dl

>Globalization (globalization at iatp.org)    Posted:
>12/31/2001  By  mritchie at iatp.org
>
>Published on Sunday, December 30, 2001 in the Los Angeles Times
>
>Argentina
>Blame the IMF Crowd
>The One-Size-Fits-All Globalization Model Just Didn't Work
>
>by Marc Cooper
>
>  A businessman trafficking in women in the red-light district of Buenos
>Aires refers to his most sought-after prostitute as la mina--the gold mine
>that produces his wealth. That's precisely the unfortunate role Argentina
>played in world markets over the last decade--it has been a gold mine for
>overseas investors.
>
>Throughout the 1990s, Argentina dutifully carried out the orders of the men
>who run the international financial markets. It privatized state-owned
>industries, selling them off to foreigners. It embraced free trade and
>pegged its national currency, the peso, to the U.S. dollar. That Argentina
>was ruled by a gangster regime for most of the decade--former President
>Carlos Menem was only recently released from house arrest for his role in
>an international gun-running scheme--seemed to matter little to world
>bankers. As long as it remained a lucrative investment for mobile
>international capital, as long as it churned out double-digit profits for
>wealthy overseas bondholders, Argentina was the darling of globalization.
>But after bloody civil unrest drove President Fernando de la Rua from power
>earlier this month and Argentina suspended payments on its international
>debts, the global money managers acted as if they had nothing to do with
>the country's economic collapse. It was Argentine mismanagement and
>corruption that were to blame. True, they were contributing factors. Yet
>the men who run the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank and other
>multilateral financial agencies have some explaining to do, too. Argentina
>obeyed to the letter the nostrums the IMF routinely prescribes for the
>poorer half of the world: It cut social spending, reduced wages, raised
>prices and balanced the budget to attract foreign investment. Even as
>default loomed, the IMF pumped billions of dollars more into Argentina in
>return for its obedience--and the economy still collapsed.
>
>That experience should be enough to throw into question the free-market
>globalization model that has increasingly been forced on Latin America
>countries as the only way to grow economically. A study released last
>summer by the Center for Economic and Policy Research in Washington
>provides further support for such a break. Of the world's 116 poorest
>countries, most are worse off after the last 20 years of global economic
>integration.
>
>The IMF also pursued a money-for-austerity strategy in Russia in 1998 and
>in Brazil a year later, to similar disastrous effect. But the outcome in
>Argentina has been catastrophic. Pegging the peso to the dollar resulted in
> [...]

David Legge
School of Public Health
La Trobe University, Victoria, 3086, Australia
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/publichealth/references/profiles/dgl4sph.htm
+61/(03) 9489 1934 (hm/ph); +61/(03) 9479 5849 (wk/ph)
+61/(03) 9482 1201 (hm/fx); +61/(03) 9479 1783 (wk/fx)
Mobile phone: 0408 991417
email: d.legge at latrobe.edu.au