PHA-Exchange> Dec 4 many thanks to all

Alifia Chakera achakera at oneworldaction.org
Tue Dec 11 07:56:54 PST 2001

Dear Friends,

The conference Health for All : A Question of Social Justice- was
fantastic. Not just for the diversity of speakers but because of the
breadth of experience, knowledge, energy and clear commitment to achieving
'Health for All' by the participants.

It was a wonderful opportunity to share ideas, network and galvanize more
support for the PHA now the PHM

Usefully the UK press were interested with what we had to say, and a wider
audience was introduced the PHM which is vital if we are to continue raise
our profile to strengthen our work.

For those who do not know, the themes of the day were divided roughly into
three areas looking at both domestic and global perspectives.

1.      the impact of trade rules of health
2.      the impact of privatisation of health services
3.      Democracy, civil participation and influence in shaping health.

In addition to all of us learning a great deal from each other a number of
useful actions were documented and the day fed into the PHM Europe meeting
on the 5th.

A synthesis report from this event will be made available on the PHM
website hopefully be mid January. Hard copies (fingers crossed) will be
available probably by February.

In addition special thanks to people making the trip from all over Europe
to London and all the many people who on the run up to the conference sent
in  participant contacts, ideas for the working agendas, helped with
promoting the conference with the press (always tough) or made documents
available that I would have had trouble getting in time with all my other
admin. THANK YOU!!!!

Please note programme for Dec 4 is still accessible on One World Action's
website and will be until the final report is out. www.oneworldaction.org

In solidarity,

Alifia Chakera

Register early for our conference Health for All: a Question of Social
Justice. December 4, 2001
Speakers include : Rt Hon Alan Milburn, Professor Allyson Pollock of
University College London and Karen Jennings Head of Nursing at UNISON. For
full programme go to http://www.oneworldaction.org/

Alifia Chakera
Health Policy Officer
One World Action Limited
Registered Office
Bradley's Close
White Lion Street
London N1 9PF
http://www.oneworldaction.org/
Phone +44 (0)20 7833 4075
Fax +44 (0)20 7833 4102
Company Registration No. 2822893
Registered Charity No. 1022298

One World Action works in Europe and with partner organisations in poor
countries to defeat poverty and to promote democracy and respect for human
rights. Through such partnerships for change we are working for a just and
equal world.