PHA-Exchange> Tobacco Control Treaty - Round three completed

FCA Secretariat FCTCalliance at inet.co.th
Wed Dec 5 09:16:24 PST 2001

Dear Friends at PHA

I am sure you are all keen to hear the updates on the world's first global
treaty on tobacco control.  I do hope you will take the time to give some
thought to this issue as it is a lot more complex and important than it is
given credit for.  A legal product is killing four million people a year and
its producers are getting away with virtually no regulation.  If there was
ever an issue which incorporated everything that PHA stands for then this is
it!

REGIONAL POSITIONS: Overall progress was very good with strong positions
from South and Southeast Asia, Oceania, the Pacific and Africa.  Though
containing countries with progressive tobacco control measures, the EU's
involvement in the negotiations has been diluted by the weaker countries in
the union, notably Germany.  In the Americas Canada and the Caribbean were
progressive with the US and Latin America generally poor.  The Eastern
Mediterranean (Middle East) region was generally strong however there was
concern that tobacco industry pressure had kept some delegations away from
the negotiations.

ISSUES RAISED: Strong support for comprehensive bans on tobacco advertising
were noted, their was progress in regards to packaging and labelling
requirements and many voices of support for health to be specifically placed
above trade in the treaty language (this is a very important debate given
its  implications for other movements).

TOBACCO INDUSTRY OPPOSITION: The tobacco industry has been increasing its
activities through indirect approaches including through the International
Tobacco Growers Association (ITGA) and through journalists (many of whom
turn out to be on the payroll of tobacco companies).

NGO MOBILISATION: The need to inform and obtain the support of the broader
NGO community was noted by some tobacco control NGOs, some of whom are
perplexed about the seeming disinterest in the FCTC by groups that should be
interested by virtue of their platforms.

I urge you to look at our website and take the time to become more familiar
with tobacco control and the FCTC.  I am always willing to answer questions
etc if you have any.

Sincerely,
Belinda Hughes
Coordinator
Framework Convention Alliance (FCA)
www.fctc.org
Tel: (66-2) 278 1828 or (66-2) 278 1829
Fax: (66-2) 278 1830

The Framework Convention Alliance is an alliance of NGOs from around the
world committed to a strong global treaty to control tobacco for the health
of all people.